[opendtv] Re: News: H.P. to Report an Advance in Adaptable Circuitry

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 06:50:56 -0500

At 9:56 AM -0800 1/16/07, John Willkie wrote:
What makes you think we don't?  Ever hear of A/97 -- as just an example?

Have you ever heard of E-VSB, E-AC-3, and perhaps A-VSB?

These are not extensible. They do not work with legacy ATSC receivers.

To be fair, one could argue for two different definitions of extensibility:

1. Enhancing a standard in a manner that adds functionality without breaking existing receivers.

2. Enhancing a standard in a manner that adds functionality to existing receivers.

Your examples are all of the first type.

We routinely add new capabilities to computers and web appliances via software upgrades, which are examples of the second type. And in some cases products are designed to accept hardware upgrades as well.

We argued for BOTH of the second examples during the Advanced Television process. It is not that difficult to develop products that can be upgraded after they have been shipped, although it can increase the cost. But there are huge costs in terms of what you cannot do if everything is locked down.

Just ask Mark Schubin about adding a legal MPEG-2 format to the ATSC standard - "Sorry, but we cannot add 720 x 480 because it might break some existing receivers."

And here's an even better example. We tried to amend the MPEG-2 standard to use a "Reserved Extension" to add a flag to help identify breaks in the 3:2 pulldown frame sequence for 23.97/24P film source. The MPEG-2 standard was designed to be extensible as described in #1 above. You should be able to use reserved extensions in new gear, while older products that do not understand the reserved extension simply ignore the bits in this field. But some of the early MPEG-2 decoders simply "hard wired" some of the reserved extensions. That is, they always expect that extension to be off "0." But if the bit is used "1," the old product would break.

As a result, the MPEG-2 standard cannot be extended without breaking some older products. We were blocked from using the reserved extension by the Japanese delegation because it would break some products that they did not design properly. In effect, not the MPEG-2 standard cannot be extended.