[opendtv] Re: News: GOP Wins Mean Continued Key Clout

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 17:52:28 -0500

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:44:11 -0400
Via ShopTalk

GOP Wins Mean Continued Key Clout
By Doug Halonen
http://www.tvweek.com

Democratic presidential contender Sen. John Kerry's
concession of the race for the White House to President
Bush on Wednesday morning gave Republicans additional
cause to celebrate.

In the wake of the elections, the GOP has solidified
its majorities in the House of Representatives and the
Senate. That's important to the industry in part
because it means that the key congressional committees
that oversee legislation affecting media companies will
continue to be chaired by Republicans.

President Bush's re-election also will enable the GOP
to tighten its grip on the Federal Communications
Commission. The FCC already has a 3-2 Republican
majority. But the seat of one of the agency's two
Democrats-Jonathan Adelstein-has expired. When he is
forced to step down at the end of the year, the GOP
will have a 3-1 majority at the agency until Mr.
Adelstein is replaced with another Democrat-possibly
a long wait .

Although I have no idea what GOP control of the FCC
does.

In terms of unbundling the local loop, I think the
Democratic party would push that hard. But all that
results in is a lack of interest by the telcos to
develop that infrastructure, and consequent
stagnation (as was evident post-1996).

In terms of ending the DTT transition early, it seems
the Republican-controlled FCC is in favor. But it's
unclear to me that a Democrat-controlled FCC would
oppose this. At most, the Democratic commissioners
would make a bigger deal about govt-funded STBs for
the needy. (I'd be curious whether in Berlin this
govt support to consumers turned out to be real or
mostly just for show.)

The Dems would probably oppose any increase in the
national cap on OTA broadcast facilities, but as
far as I'm concerned, there's precious little to
say for the low national cap. It really only
restricts the size of station goups like Sinclair.
It does not by itself create more voices in TV
markets, nor does it restrict the size of the major
media network conglomerates. So what's the point?
Political grandstanding?

All in all, what's the difference?