[opendtv] Re: News: Free but Fickle, DTV Eludes Some

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 17:40:31 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Yes, it is a power problem. Theoretical S/N margins in the lab
> are not translating to receivability in the real world. We need
> more power to match our real world analog coverage. Much more.

As Dale keeps saying, you need something like 6 dB less than the analog
signal, and don't expect equal coverage if you provide much less than
that.

It would be very refreshing to see this sort of straightforward argument
used, once in awhile, instead of having to read these incessant articles
about how "fickle" DTV is.