[opendtv] Re: News: Fox Playing Hardball With Balky Affils

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 19:44:28 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> How is that "free" TV business model working in the UK?

Don't know about the UK, John, but back in the day when FOTA TV in France and
Italy were all funded by license fees, there were few if any commercials. The
commercials would be broadcast, for instance, in a time slot before the main
evening programs, and that was it.

Now there's a mix of public-funded and private TV networks (e.g. RAI channels
vs. Mediaset channels), and commercial air on the private channels much like
they do here. So somehow or other, ad support seems to work. There are even US
movies and TV shows on these, so evidently the content owners do like to
distribute their stuff as much as possible, even without a dual revenue stream.

In France, they have been eliminating all ads from publically-funded TV
channels.

So when there's mention to TV licensing fees, I would not assume that the TV
networks have access to those funds AND to ad revenues. Either/or, or a bit of
both, is closer to the truth, I think. When US TV shows air on the publically
funded channels, they do not last one hour, for example. More like 40 minutes.