[opendtv] Re: News: FCC's Martin Floats Leased Multicast Must-Carry Proposal

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:03:43 -0800

You seem to have a probelm with understanding the term "competition."

Broadcast TV doesn't sell anything that cable TV sells.  Cable does $4.3
billion a year in ad revenue -- it's been going up seriously in the last
year or so, due to ads on video on demand.

$4.3 billion is a drop in the bucket on OTA ad revenue; San Diego alone does
more than 1/2 billion a year in OTA ad revenue, and we're barely a top 25
market.

Somehow, this penetrates my cave but not your noggin.

Nice to see that you are starting to recognize that "something is happening"
with retrans.  Kind of difficult, I recognize, when the news belies your
preconceptions.