[opendtv] Re: News: FCC's Martin Floats Leased Multicast Must-Carry Proposal

  • From: Barry Brown <barrysb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:23:30 -0500

On Feb 28, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

Not only are second and third sets fed off an antenna quite common, but folks who use DBS and OTA together are also quite common. The end result
is that actual TV households that make use of OTA are at least double
those that are using OTA exclusively. The number goes from 15 percent to
the high 30 percent range, which is not at all a negligible number.

I've got to throw in my $.02 here. I'm in one of those households that is combining DBS and DT-OTA. I think helping subs to easily and cheaply achieve this combination should be almost SOP for DBS companies, as long as the exclusivity agreements prevent national distribution of network programming. Otherwise, the DBS spectrum is flooded with large time segments of duplicate programming, which will become significantly worse as we progress toward an all digital system. Not an efficient system of program distribution.

Barry