[opendtv] Re: News: FCC Sets Schedule for Next Round of White Space Tests

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:30:55 -0500

> Let me give you one statistic you can mull over. Italy has
> a total of 2000 TV towers, both "high" powered and repeaters.
> France has a total of 3000. The US has a total of ~6000, and
> that would only be true if we assume that the existing analog
> translators migrate to digital (instead of being summarily
> eliminated). No matter whether you do the math in terms of
> population, population density, land mass, or towers with
> multiple TV antennas on them, you will see those numbers are
> VERY skewed.

In case this wasn't clear, what I'm saying is that the OTA
infrastructure here is NOT govt supported in any way. Providing the same
coverage area with big but low-powered sticks, Euro style, let alone
really small sticks, would be like adding insult to injury. Broadcasters
already seem to find it difficult to justify the OTA plants they have.
Take Gainesville as a prime example. Where is NBC?? Where is CW? For
that matter, why can't the OTA network become better than it is now,
with more choice than 6 or 7 major nets?

Why donate spectrum to other longish range systems when TV c/should be
improving their own plants? If other systems can use this spectrum
effectively, without interering with big sticks, why shouldn't LPTV be
given the first shot? Just a f'rinstance. Would that possibly increase
OTA usage? Or don't we want that to happen?