[opendtv] Re: News: FCC Sets Schedule for Next Round of White Space Tests

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:06:31 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The NAB and broadcasters have already conceded that licensed fixed
> point-to-point systems could share the broadcast spectrum. Thus it
> would be possible to operate wireless broadband-to-the-home/business
> services that could compete with the telcos and cable. It might not
> be possible to serve mobile devices, but there are alternatives that
> solve that problem.

I think that this is a different discussion, though. Using available
spectrum for licensed broadcast services is allowing non-TV competition
to use the TV spectrum, following exactly the same interference
prevention techniques that broadcasters are subjected to. Whereas white
space devices are low-power (1 Watt) unlicensed devices, competing for
spectrum that could be in use by what appears to be a very, very weak
signal. Which is why they are potentially such a problem. I think this
is a different problem.

As to this other scenario you pose, as far as I'm concerned, if TV
broadcasters aren't interested in using available TV spectrum, then
others should be able to get a crack at it. A prime example might be in
your own market.

My feeling is that it's obnoxious for spectrum set aside for FTA TV to
be grabbed by subscription services. But I have to admit that if those
entrusted to use this spectrum prefer to get "paid twice" and not use it
effectively, once again Gainesville being a perfect example, then the
govt has to either change its must-carry/retransmission consent rules,
to fix the problem, or tell the owners of this spectrum (us) that it's
reducing TV spectrum to less than Ch 2-51, which was already a
reduction.

(IMO, the priority for available TV spectrum ought to be to TV
broadcast, including possibly LPTV, or on-channel repeaters or
translators, to improve coverage. But the economics have to work in the
open, greedy, marketplace. That's what it's all about.)