[opendtv] Re: News: FCC Floats Cash-For-TV-Spectrum Scheme

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:00:34 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> I wonder what they would do if the choice was between
> the $$ and must carry or must carry and a Freeview like
> OTA audience in place in the US. That is say 100
> million households actually using their OTA spectrum
> with a modulation like DMB-T2 that worked very well and
> was efficient mobile.

I stopped wondering that years and years ago. It won't fly here, because (a)
broadcasters wouldn't want to make all their best stuff available free, since
they can easily sucker people into subcription schemes that give broadcasters a
healthy kickback (e.g. the ESPN channels), and (b) people have become
accustomed to many more channels than could be offered in an OTA system,
whether they watch them all or not. This is a "more is more" culture we live
in. You don't impress your friends by being less than lavish.

Freeview does not use DMB-T. Freeview, in fact, is very low power, compared to
what it would need to be for credible mobile service. We've been over this many
times. Check out the outside "30' high" OTA antennas used in Euro countries
where free OTA service is popular. DVB-H is used for any credible mobile TV
service, and as several recent articles have shown, it is NOT a raging success,
in countries where it has been deployed. Italy being a prime example.

So, there is no relationship between the success of Freeview in the UK, Italy,
and France, and any sort of mobile ambitions, beyond merely "catch as catch
can" for mobile DVB-T reception.