[opendtv] Re: News: FCC Conflicted Over Digital Carriage

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:13:12 -0400

John,

Simple Answer. The digital service that is a simulcast of the licensee's
analog signal is designated as the primary digital channel until January 1,
2007 (or sooner, if the broadcaster voluntarily shuts down it's analog
signal early.)

After the transition is complete, each broadcaster is required to have at
least one digital service provided "at no charge" to the public, and that
becomes the primary digital signal.

As for retrans consent, I think that any broadcaster who enters into a three
year contract will make sure that during that time the primary digital
channel does not change it's PID.  If the broadcaster desires to change what
service is his/her primary digital channel, just shuffle the PIDs among any
multicast services.

John Shutt