[opendtv] Re: News: Disney, Cox Reach Carriage Renewal Deal

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 17:19:37 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Please note the second paragraph, which describes how Cox
> customers will be able to access online content.

Nothing new, right? We saw this during the Olympics, where you could access all
manner of extra Olympic cable-only coverage online, provided you were already
an MVPD addict.

However excellent Olympic coverage was also available as usual, on FOTA NBC,
including a full re-air of the daily coverage after the evening news. And
similarly, Disney makes all of the FOTA ABC programs available VOD, online,
without needing an MVPD addiction. In spite of the pre-Olympic press hype, that
made it sound like you could only watch coverage if you were an MVPD addict,
such was clearly not the case.

In this instance, regarding ABC: Regular ABC shows are available online very
soon after they air, like the next day or so. And previously MVPD-only shows,
like ABC Family, are available several weeks later on ABC sites:

http://www.abcfamily.go.com/watch

Or try this:

http://www.epctv.com/channels/ESPN-Online-Watch-3584.htm

So instead of pretending that the only way to access conglom content is to
become addicted to MVPDs, follow these two trivial tricks:

1. Do not buy "connected TVs," which are unnecessarily (and obviously
deliberately) crippled by companies on the take. Don't think that just because
a "connected TV" can't get to the content, it isn't there.

2. Especially for non-time-critical content, be slightly flexible about when
you watch stuff. Content that was previously MVPD-only is available very
quickly on the Internet (often after midnight of the same day), on the
congloms' own sites. Or it may even be available right away on more shady web
sites, available to any properly designed "connected" product.