[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Boxes Could Cost $1 Billion

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:01:49 -0400

John Golitsis wrote:

>I think you might be talking about something different, Kon (the Vegas
>demo?).  This was in Korea and the video had a Korean baseball game showing
>on the screen.
>
>I don't believe Bob Miller, and I have no concrete information to the
>contrary, but why would LG release such a video to demonstrate the
>performance of their 5th gen 8VSB chip?  Were they intentionally misleading
>people?  I doubt it.

Well you don't have to believe me how fortunate you are. You can watch
the video. It drops out at each overpass. If you doubt my version of
what the LG engineer told me you can ask him. His name is Sung-Ryong
Hong and he claims to be responsible for the 5th gen development.

I specifically asked him about the video and his answer was that it was
a non compatible version of 8-VSB and that while he was working on
making 8-VSB work mobile it was very very difficult and he had no idea
when it might be accomplished.

He is with the CNC Group Digital TV laboratory LG Electronics Inc.