[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Boxes Could Cost $1 Billion

  • From: "Nick Kocsis" <kocsis_nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:00:03 -0400

Agreed.   Many who bought the first receivers to come on the market  were
not aware of the problems of reception that lay ahead of them.   At the same
time there was nothing to compel them to buy ahead of the analog shutdown.
But as a consumer issue most purchasers did not know what the FCC and
broadcasters already knew and were not telling the U.S. public (DVB adopted
in the rest of the world was working just fine and consumers were buying it
whereas in the U.S. the public at large had no concept of what ATSC DTV was
all about and mostly were not buying it).

Yes, improvements will continue to be made to the 5th generation receiver
chip but that fact is secondary to the fact that Schubin can receive all the
DTV stations in a strong signal area that he had no hope of receiving with
generation 1 to 4.    And that event is as momentous as when Alex Graham
Bell announced to his assistant, "Watson, come here, I need you!"   The
newly invented telephone worked and so does ATSC (finally) the way it was
intended.

The 7th generation will pale in comparison to the importance of the 5th  and
predictably will hardly be an incentive to dump the old and purchase the new
anytime soon.