[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Boxes Could Cost $1 Billion

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:48:15 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

> And, what level of performance will this <$100 "converter
> box" provide? Will
> it equal that of a 4th or 5th generation ATSC receiver, which
> is what will
> most likely be required to satisfy the needs of many current OTA only
> viewers.

Dale, that's what's great about competition. If the low-cost ATSC
receiver doesn't work, someone else will build one that does, for
the same price.

The Lynx receiver did not require any special fancy hardware
compared with the competition. Everything gravitates to the
state of the art, in CE appliances. Analog radios and TVs all
gravitated to superhet design, and now virtually all to
digital tuners, with prices at or below whatever you saw
before.

> Example: Marks apartment, where a simple antennae achieves
> satisfactory
> analog performance but where a 5th generation receiver is
> required for DTV
> reception, may be similar to the needs of many OTA viewers.
>
> Also, the government's proposed giveaway program doesn't
> address an ATSC
> receiver mounted inside the TV, which would seemingly require
> the giveaway
> of the TV also. It only addresses the "converter box"
> concept, as far as I know anyway.

I don't know that any govt giveaway is necessary, especially
now that the date seems to have slipped beyond 2007. But the
question here is not about what a govt giveaway would consist
of, but rather what the marginal price increase of
incorporating ATSC (and other digital) front ends would be.
If the stand-alone box can be built for $67, in 2007, the
price of the competition will tend to that same price point,
then it stands to reason that the chipset will cost far less.

If the cheap Moto chipset doesn't work well, a manufacturer
would likely search out an alternate supplier whose tuner
works better. And prices can only trend downward, in time.