[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Boxes Could Cost $1 Billion

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:32:39 -0400

John Golitsis wrote:

> Are you going to resurrect this point and your position when
> the performance
> of 7th generation chipsets trounce this 5th generation?

Yes, that is the question to ask.

The simple fact is, no apologies need to be made for choosing
this 8-VSB scheme *for OTA DTV*. This isn't cellular or
microcellular technology here, where range is always short,
and power always ample for the range to be covered.

The FCC knew this back in 2001, when they had to make a
decision. And they saw how much improvement there had
been from 1st to 2nd gen receivers. So they made a decision
to stay the course, which turned out to be the right one.

We could go on wasting money with comparison tests, but
surely it must have occurred to some folk that John's
question above might come to haunt them?