[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Boxes Could Cost $1 Billion

  • From: "Nick Kocsis" <kocsis_nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:53:28 -0400

The reality John, is that government is there to protect both the private
AND the public interest.   Broadcasting because it makes use of radio
spectrum is considered a public resource that must be regulated in the
interest of commerce and the public good.   PC's and sewing machines are
quite a different matter (buyer beware).

Another example is the regulation of  prescription drugs.  In the interest
of the public health and safety no drug is released for sale in the market
except under rigorous testing to prove that it will do no harm.   That is
the role of government since the pharmaceutical industry cannot be trusted
to regulate itself, not because of its unwillingness to do good, but because
of its own self interest in such matters.   In the case of Sinclair vs. FCC
we saw a remarkable case of a  reversal of roles in the broadcast industry.

When agencies like the FCC because of  political expediency of advancing the
digital transition releases for public consumption a broadcast standard that
they knew at the time was seriously flawed they  betrayed the public trust.
They, in effect, sanctioned the industry to produce a  product that was
incapable of  reliable reception relative to analog NTSC.   By that I mean
capable of receiving an unimpaired signal from a simple antenna in a
difficult location such as the Schubin Apartment.   The equivalent of an
unimpaired signal in analog (IMHO) would be of comparable quality to
standard definition dtv video that does not drop below a background noise
threshold where it becomes noticeable to the viewer or in the case of dtv
causes a dropout.   This takes the 'cliff effect' out of the equation and
defines a better measure of equivalency (although some but not me would
tolerate viewing content with significant background noise).

I am elated by the news that the South Koreans have rescued the U.S./
Canada/ Mexico/S. Korea OTA 8VSB transition at LG Electronics by their new
receiver chip.   It means that I can bring myself to buy into the ASTC
standard by purchasing a 5th generation or better receiver for the first
time whereas previously I was adamantly opposed  to buying into this flawed
system.

Others have not been so lucky.   You are suggesting that early adopters and
not the FCC should have the financial responsibility of replacing their
receiver if they are viewers of OTA DTV and have problems receiving their
local stations.