[opendtv] Re: News: DIGITAL TV OPENS UP TWO-WAY OPPORTUNITIES

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:53:14 -0800

Targeted advertising is going to be very important?

I used to think that.  I can say that exactly NOBODY in the broadcast or
cable space that I've talked to has ever expressed the slightest interest in
Directed Channel Change, the working technology that enables this
functionality today.

There are serious infrastructure problems; putting the spots into a traffic
system, playing them out, and the belief that the only way to deliver the
content in a live stream is to pre-encode the spots.  (No good for live.)

Then, there's the client side.  For this to work, you need to have DCC
support in receiving devices and each device needs to enable MPEG-2 stream
splicing, or the spot inserts will be glitchy.

Then, imagine how Nielsen will measure the delivery of such spots, and the
need for the receiving device to know the location of the user.

I wish it weren't so -- I've spent much time enabling my PSIP generation
systems to generate DCC.  Due to market conditions, I've decided making it
an extra-cost option.

Come to think of it, I was in the office of a high-ranking network
engineering executive a few years back when he took a phone call.  To close
out his call, he said something to his caller about "and when we implement
Directed Channel Change everything will change."

This particular network, I was told yesterday, uses a traffic system that
was written in Clipper in the mid-1990s, runs in DOS in 640k of memory on a
Novell 5 network.  The new FCC rules on PSIP (which go into effect on May 29
of this year) will ultimately lead to adding PMCP support to that system, or
replacing the whole system, as the FCC will be requiring PSIP listings to
match up with the actual programs, including sports over-runs.

John Willkie