[opendtv] Re: News: DIGITAL TV OPENS UP TWO-WAY OPPORTUNITIES

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:43:50 -0700

I can't disagree on your points, David.

However, non-carriage of PSIP is my issue, not how the FCC's rules limit the
bandwidth cable must devote to PSIP.

And, the bandwidth limits are probably more than adequate to carry much more
than 12 hours.

My first customer airs PSIP - currently limited to static PSIP until he
finishes a simple interface from his radio-centric traffic system.  We air
15 hours of listings for seven virtual channels.  To wit, Master Guide Table
(once every 144 ms), Terrestrial Virtual Channel Table (once each 332 ms),
Channel Extended Text Tables for 7 virtual channels, and 35 separate
instances of Event Information Tables and 35 separate instances of Event
Extended Text Tables.  EIT-0's and EETT-0s every 500 ms, with EIT-1s and
EETT1s sent each 1000 ms .

Total bit rate: is 89k to 106k per second.  Subtract out the Master Guide
Table (7 per second) , TVCT and CETT instances, and you are talking about a
maximum of less than 80k.

I doubt that there are few U.S. terrestrial broadcasters that use as much
bandwidth for PSIP as does KYES-DT.  And, the sad fact is that, unless a
broadcaster uses EtherGuide Emissary or has very expensive test and
measurement gear, they don't even know how many bits are involved with PSIP.
I know broadcasters that reserve 1.5 mb/seconds for PSIP.  (EtherGuide
Emissary gives a front-panel readout of the PSIP/PSI bit rate in real-time.)

80k is much better than 0 k, and the FCC will make this requirement move
explicit in due course.

John Willkie

  _____

From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> The problem is in marking the materials to be shown in the "run list" or

> automation process and inserting the data into the video stream.  Can you

> carry the input of this data all the way back to the beginning of the

> ingest

> process or even sales?

John,

My point exactly, and I'm glad to see the industry also agrees with me.

What I said is that there is no standard way of identifying material as

anamorphic 16:9 or 4:3.

Come up with a SMPTE standard to pass along AFD within the VANC data of

SD-SDI, do so in a way that any company's cross converter can understand and

automatically follow, and then we can start mixing and matching formats

within the server.

As things stand right now, it is up to a traffic database to keep track of

such things, and a station automation system to change modes on a cross

converter.  Too dicey and too limited in usefulness.

There needs to be a standard that hard encodes the AFD into the video that

survives any and all processing in the production and distribution chain

from initial acquition to final home viewing, just as closed captioning and

V-chip information remains preserved.  It can even live inside the CC/V-Chip

data area to make sure it will survive all processing.

But there has to be an agreed upon standard first.  Right now there is no

standard, just a bunch of different proposals or specialized solutions.

John