[opendtv] Re: News: DIGITAL TV OPENS UP TWO-WAY OPPORTUNITIES

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:25:08 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The problem is in marking the materials to be shown in the "run list" or
automation process and inserting the data into the video stream.  Can you
carry the input of this data all the way back to the beginning of the ingest
process or even sales?

John,

My point exactly, and I'm glad to see the industry also agrees with me. What I said is that there is no standard way of identifying material as anamorphic 16:9 or 4:3.

Come up with a SMPTE standard to pass along AFD within the VANC data of SD-SDI, do so in a way that any company's cross converter can understand and automatically follow, and then we can start mixing and matching formats within the server.

As things stand right now, it is up to a traffic database to keep track of such things, and a station automation system to change modes on a cross converter. Too dicey and too limited in usefulness.

There needs to be a standard that hard encodes the AFD into the video that survives any and all processing in the production and distribution chain from initial acquition to final home viewing, just as closed captioning and V-chip information remains preserved. It can even live inside the CC/V-Chip data area to make sure it will survive all processing.

But there has to be an agreed upon standard first. Right now there is no standard, just a bunch of different proposals or specialized solutions.

John