[opendtv] Re: News: DIGITAL TV OPENS UP TWO-WAY OPPORTUNITIES

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:54:57 -0800

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Craig Birkmaier
>  And it is NOT about Directed Channel Change, which is a complex,
>  real-time kludge to deliver targeted ads.

DCC is a dinosaur. No-one will ever use it for targeted advertising.
The alternatives like swapping out content via cached PVR already
exist. BskyB and others are already and have been doing iTV
advertising via these types of mechanisms for many years.

Unfortunately the USA is the only one in the dark ages. I find it a
pretty sad state of affairs that we continue to describe these
mechanisms for local use when international DTH services have been
doing advertiser-controlled targeteting for many years.

I know how people like Bert like to beat the non-IP drum but I'll say
this - it took us about half a week to implement targeting on our
system using metadata tags. When you control your own system you don't
need to use overly-complex relics to get the job done. We are in an IP
world, get with the program already.

>  I have used an example in the past that goes like this. You go to a
>  car dealership and take a test drive, and the salesman gets some info
>  about you. Rather than calling, or sending you  stuff in the mail,
>  the dealership buys some ads that are inserted JUST FOR YOU. These
>  ads could even have personalization. The station would deliver these
>  ads to your local cache, then when you watch one of their programs
>  these ads would be inserted just for you. ALL OF THIS IS QUITE
>  FEASIBLE TODAY.

You just described Value@TV which is in service with BskyB, and the
particular car demo was shown at NAB in what.. 1998. Hence my original
comment...

Cheers
Kon