[opendtv] Re: News: Consumer Groups Oppose Multicast Must-Carry

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:21:32 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> And how does this promote access for new
> competitors? Are the stations going to make
> channels in these multiplexes available to
> competitors? Is cable going to use this "extra"
> spectrum to offer more channels from new
> competitors?

Yes, of course. More spectrum available on the
cable system for competition, *even* with must
carry of the entire DTT multiplexes.

The practial reality is that multicast must-carry in
most markets amounts to about what, 18 MHz or less
total from a cable system with 256-QAM? In larger
markets, it would still be a small fraction of the
cable bandwidth. So no matter what, even if the
multicasts are garbage, it's not in practice such
a big deal.

> at least until the analog tiers are turned off.

Which I already said many times. After analog
shutoff.

> Seems to me that this is an issue that the
> marketplace should decide.

Yes, I have always agreed with that. Broadcasters
ought to be able to "sell" their multicasts without
having the FCC enforce anything. I have little doubt
that they can, and I have little doubt that cable
subscribers will scream at their providers if they
don't get the good content available OTA.

The issue here, if you check back, was whether any
of this would mean FEWER POINTS OF VIEW on the air.
No, it would not. That's just a red herring.

> The reason that 90% of the content comes from the
> congloms is that they have used regulatory
> advantage to rebuild their empires and they have
> the economic power to control virtually all
> popular content

Which sounds like a lot of whining about the other
guy's success.

Look, there are at least what, 5 congloms? And PBS?
That's better than one cable company in any given
area. That cable company can opt to carry anything
they want, with the spectrum freed up after analog
shutoff. Multicast must-carry has no serious effect
on any of this. It might be obnoxious, but let's
complain only when complaining makes sense.