[opendtv] Re: News: Consumer Groups Oppose Multicast Must-Carry

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:45:13 -0400

At 10:15 AM -0700 9/9/05, dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>A couple of more questions:
>
>Is it safe to assume that cable providers do not want must-carry so they
>have the control of what to put on their cable system?

It's more than a control issue. It is a financial issue. A big chunk
of monthly cable/DBS bills go to pay for programming rights.
Broadcasters have used must carry to get privileged placement on
cable systems and to build new networks like ESPN. These subscriber
fees are MUCH HIGHER than they would be in a market driven system.
The reason is simple: the congloms threaten to with hold popular
content unless the cable/DBS systems ante up ever increasing fees for
popular (and not so popular) programming.This form of "greenmail"
would not be possible without must carry.

>Does the cable provider have the right to control what programming goes on
>the cable system, whether the consumer wants it or not?

In theory yes, except that most franchise agreements give local
authorities some control over a few channels. But they have little
control over the extortion demands of the congloms, who have used
must carry to rebuild their empires.

>Whos interest should the FCC and other government entities be looking out
>for in this issue? (consumer, service provider, program provider, etc.)

Consumers and independent producers. The government should not be in
the business of protecting the fortunes of a few powerful companies
as they are today.

>I bet there are so many issues to consider on this subject that it really
>can't be addressed over email, so don't try if you don't want to.

Yes, the entire system is broken. Cable, DBS AND broadcasters are all
protected by the politicians. Most of this in-fighting is just FUD,
which allows everyone to push up the cost to the consumer and make
more money. Fortunatelyu the politicians cannot legislate "must
watch" on consumers.