[opendtv] Re: News: Changing Course, Apple Offers Low-Priced Mac for the Home

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:53:04 -0500

At 9:17 AM -0800 1/12/05, John Willkie wrote:
>Only a Mac enthisiast would call this a "low-priced" computer.  Dell --
>nobody's idea of a cut-rate maker -- sells whole computers (with the
>keyboard, mouse and keyboard that the mini Mac doesn't include) for the same
>price point.  And, they don't make you think that you're getting something
>insignificant.

Only you would try to compare what Apple just announced with a low
cost PC from Dell.

Can I hook a cheap Dell up to my 50" DLP, via DVI, and drive it at
native 1280 x 720, with proper upsampling of DVDs to720P and full
support for the advanced 3D rendering needed for current video games?

Can I hook up my HDV camcorder and edit HD movies on that Dell?

By the way John, the main reason that there is no display, keyboard
or mouse is that the primary targets for this computer already have
these items, and a huge PC that is riddled with viruses, spyware, and
other "issues." Mac resellers are already bundling keyboards and mice.

With the Mini I have options. For my TV application I would spend the
extra $59 for the Bluetooth module and $99 for the wireless keyboard
and mouse for the coffee table.