[opendtv] Re: News: Case accepts blame for AOL-Time Warner debacle

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:20:30 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> By definition, any service that you BUY via the
> Internet is NOT open to all users.

Sure it is, if any Internet user has access to the
site and can join its membership.

> I stand by my original statement, but will happily
> revise it a bit to please Bert:
>
> IPTV is the bypass technology that will ultimately
> challenge walled garden multi-channel subscription
> services, allowing consumer to buy content on an ala
> carte basis.

Except you aren't describing IPTV specifically. You
are merely describing a gradual evolution which goes
something like:

Blockbuster video stores --> Netflix --> Netflix file
transfer vs. DVD shipments. This ain't IPTV.

Amazon could do the same thing. Instead of shipping
books after a web transaction, transfer (for example)
Acrobat files. Let the end user either print the book
or read it off his PC.

IPTV is more than this. You're doing the same thing
you did with your use of the term "Internet." That is,
apply a known term to something else, even if vaguely
related.

What you want is simple to implement, with the sole
exception of the large file sizes involved for decent
quality video.