[opendtv] Re: News: Case accepts blame for AOL-Time Warner debacle

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:13:22 -0500

>In any event, assuming it had worked as Case was
>imagining, it still would have had to be a walled
>garden. It would have been AOL's IP-based closed
>system, which would have delivered more TV-related
>entertainment content. But what you seem to miss
>is that this would not necessarily have been open
>to all Internet users. There are very valid
>technical reasons why these IP-based TV systems
>also become walled gardens, having to do with
>scalability issues, with QoS issues, and with
routing policy between the major carriers.

By definition, any service that you BUY via the Internet is NOT open
to all users. Furthermore, without a good broadband connection,
downloading large files is too slow and painful to support a viable
business model.

But IPTV is NOT, by definition a walled garden.

I agree that Case was trying to build a walled garden, and that one
of the factors that helped to bring down the merger, was the growth
of alternative connectivity solutions that provided less expensive
Internet access without having to pay for "walled garden" content.

None of, however, know where Case wanted to go with his vision, since
he never had a chance to implement it.

All of that being said, the ability to buy digital media content via
the Internet is already a reality, and is likely to grow
exponentially. For example, Apple has sold more than 200 million
songs via the Itunes music store.

I stand by my original statement, but will happily revise it a bit to
please Bert:

IPTV is the bypass technology that will ultimately challenge walled
garden multi-channel subscription services, allowing consumer to buy
content on an ala carte basis.