[opendtv] Re: News: CableCARD Combat Continues

  • From: Dave Bittner <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 20:37:04 -0500

FWIW, my father has had nothing but trouble with CableCARDs. He has two HD sets: a plasma over the fireplace and an LCD rear-projection set in the den. (I swear he is doing his best to burn through my inheritance.) In the year he had had them Comcast has been to his house at least half a dozen times to replace failing cable cards. Most of the techs they send don't know how to deal with them or don't carry replacement cards, so they end up having to call a higher-level person to come out and fix it. (At this point my Dad knows to just tell them to send the higher level person right off the bat...)

His current "solution" is to have them install a cable box on the set in the den (with the added benefit of giving him access to pay per view), and keeping the cable card on the plasma. It is currently not functioning, after an unsuccessful visit from the Comcast folks.

Welcome to the rights-protected HD world. If this is what they call "Comcastic!" I'll pass, thank you very much.

Dave Bittner - Pixel Workshop Inc.
www.pixelworkshop.com
410.381.8555