[opendtv] Re: News: CableCARD Combat Continues

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:04:31 -0500

[Sent by a colleague to whom I had forwarded Craig's original post:

"I got a new set-top box and it didn't come from Comcast. It uses a cable card, in fact it uses two cable cards. It's called a TiVo HD. It also receives and records HD channels as well as SD and analog (?) channels. (It can even record two HD shows at the same time, but it only holds 30 hours of HD max, as opposed to 300 hours of 480i.)

It installed nicely and has continued to work well, unlike many Comcast customers' TiVos.

It looks like Comcast charges for Cablecards by the device, filling all the slots (2) for the one (1) low price of about $80/month (oink!)

It's pretty cool, because now I see all my TV in either 480P or 1080I. 4:3 channels are displayed in 480p / 16:9 channels are in 1080i. The tv switches automatically from 4:3 mode to 16:9 mode. It's all pretty neat and much nicer than the old Comcast arrangement which had HD channels over one input and SD over another."