[opendtv] Re: News: C-SPAN, Discovery, Others Sue FCC Over 'Dual-Carriage'

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:44:37 -0500

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6528396.html

Man, it's really hard to get to the root of these complaints sometimes.

In this example, I think the issue is that C-SPAN and other such cable
program producers are worried that cable companies will drop them for
lack of capacity, if they have to transmit digital and analog
simulcasts. Why do they blame the FCC? The FCC allows the cable
companies to provide D/A converters instead of simulcasting, so it's
really the cable companies these folk should negotiate with.

Or do they have a better way to promote a smooth transition to digital
for the cable companies? Maybe they would prefer the cable companies
retain the analog tier forever and not provide a digital tier? The FCC
allows this too.

Similarly, I think I have figured out what's really behind this OnStar
service fiasco. Again, it has nothing to do with any FCC ruling, is my
bet. It has everything to do with the fact that the original "analog"
systems depended on a live OnStar operator for some of their functions
(hands-free phone calls, directions), whereas the newer systems use
speech recognition, voice synthesis, and on-board memory. So my bet is
that GM, and others, wanted to reduce the number of live operators
required to run the system, and they conveniently used the FCC ruling to
shift the blame elsewhere, for dropping the older systems.

How much do you wanna bet?