[opendtv] Re: News: CEA FORECASTS CONSUMER ELECTRONICS REVENUE

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:59:26 -0800

Mark Wrote:
> If you envision the NTSC spectrum in three-dimensional space, luma is a
> large, central octahedron.  Chroma is smaller octahedra orbiting it.
> It's only when you look at it in two dimensions that they appear to
> interfere, just as the moon (or any other satellite) would appear to
> occupy the same space as the earth when viewed in two dimensions.

Very interesting analogy Mark and I'm winging it here!:
Perhaps if one hypothesized these spectral octahedra as being somewhat akin
to celestial objects and while not physically touching, had an energy source
that did overlap, such as gravity. Such an energy source would create
"parasitic" distortions.

The encoders interleave the luma and chroma energy and in a perfect device,
they would not occupy the same space and therefore would have no
interaction. However, in reality, those energies encounter non linearity's
which do create secondary IM energies and which do result in distortion
artifacts. My more simple assumption (something that I can understand
anyway!) is that these newer encoders not only better control the sources
these distortions but also filter that energy which does exist - two
dimensionally.

Still pondering...
Thanks, Dale