[opendtv] News: CBS says share retrans cash or lose the network

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:54:02 -0500

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2010/03/moonves-says-hed-pull-signals.php

Moonves Says He'd Pull Signals from Affiliates Who Won't Share Retrans Fees; Says CBS Could be Making Over $250 Million in Retrans Fees in Two Years

CBS Corp. CEO Leslie Moonves said he's willing to pull the signal from any affiliate who won't share a portion of retransmission consent fees, B&C reports.

Speaking at the Credit Suisse Global Media & Communications Convergence Conference, Moonves said, "I worked hard to make CBS the number one network. The affiliates are sharing the $600 million NFL. I need something back for that."

He also said that his earlier estimates that retransmission income for the company could be around $250 million by 2012 may be too low, although he didn't name a higher figure.