[opendtv] Re: News: Britain's "FCC" Sees The End Of The FM Radio Road

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:08:30 -0800

I know of one doing 4 audio channels as we speak.  Kind of interesting PSIP
issues.

John Willkie

> -----Original Message-----
> From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Behalf Of Bob Miller
> Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:13 AM
> To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [opendtv] Re: News: Britain's "FCC" Sees The End Of The FM Radio
> Road
> 
> Any broadcaster could use any part of their 6 MHz channel not used for
> the one required SD MPEG2 program to deliver radio. Will they?
> Probably not if it doesn't work mobile. Freeview has 12 radio channels
> I beleive.
> 
> Bob Miller
> 
> On 11/28/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmmmm...
> > >
> > > When you move to an infrastructure that can deliver massive amounts
> > > of bits to fixed, mobile and portable receivers, at some point you
> > > realize that separate services for radio, TV and data are redundant...
> >
> > Actually, I think their point is that the function of FM radio would be
> > replaced by DAB, which uses a different slice of spectrum. The piece did
> > not say that DAB spectrum would go to anything else. Here's the quote:
> >
> > "The potential phasing out of FM radio has been pushed to the front
> > burner of Ofcom's agenda **following the rapid growth in digital
> > radio**."
> >
> > Ditto with AM radio, since DAB also replaces that. They are not saying
> > that radio and TV would use the same spectrum. They are instead making
> > the point that DAB obsoletes AM and FM radio, and DAB uses a separate
> > right of way, which makes AM and FM spectrum available to other uses.
> >
> > However, I read some Ibiquity blurb that claimed that other countries
> > were also looking at IBOC, because it uses the same spectrum as AM and
> > FM radio. Don't know if this is the case (that other countries are
> > interested). But it comes out to the same thing. Either assign L band
> > spectrum to radio, or keep radio where it is and use L band for
> > something else.
> >
> > As to your point about common use of infrastructure, to me, it's already
> > the case. Radio uses VHF just like TV, but far less of it, is expected
> > to be very robust, and can afford to be much less spectrum-efficient
> > (and thereby more robust) than TV. High quality TV needs lots of
> > bandwidth, and therefore is typically required to be more efficient in
> > how it uses spectrum than radio, which also makes it less robust. TV to
> > handheld devices is something else again, more like radio.
> >
> > So this just means that different modulation schemes are used in
> > essentially the same VHF and UHF parts of the RF spectrum, to meet the
> > different requirements. So this is the common infrastructure.
> >
> > No particular reason why radio couldn't use more of the TV spectrum, or
> > vice versa, except that TV has little to gain if it could share the FM
> > radio spectrum. The FM spectrum would provide only three extra 6 MHz
> > channels to TV. On the other hand, radio has something to lose if all
> > the TV spectrum were available to it, in terms of simple and effective
> > antenna designs. It's more difficult to make antennas that work
> > efficiently over a broad range of frequencies.
> >
> > Bert
> >
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways:
> >
> > - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at
> FreeLists.org
> >
> > - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word
> unsubscribe in the subject line.
> >
> >
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways:
> 
> - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at
> FreeLists.org
> 
> - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word
> unsubscribe in the subject line.

 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways:

- Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at 
FreeLists.org 

- By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word 
unsubscribe in the subject line.

Other related posts: