[opendtv] Re: News: Britain's "FCC" Sees The End Of The FM Radio Road

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:02:19 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> Any broadcaster could use any part of their 6 MHz channel
> not used for the one required SD MPEG2 program to deliver
> radio. Will they? Probably not if it doesn't work mobile.
> Freeview has 12 radio channels I beleive.

They could. Even Freeview could broadcast robust radio over DVB-H or
over HM, on the same frequencies as TV multiplexes. And over here, radio
could be broadcast over some robust A-VSB subchannels of TV multiplexes,
or over DVB-H or the Qualcomm system in the 700 MHz band. It's all the
same thing.

So here's the question. Is there an advantage to requiring that radios,
which have traditionally been able to be cheap, portable, and small,
would now be required to tune between 54 and 700 MHz, as opposed to 88
and 108 MHz?

I agree it can be done. But oh by the way, that wasn't the point the
article was making.