[opendtv] Re: News: Behind The Internet TV Revolution

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 07:27:20 -0400

 That's just the attitude the MVPDs want to see. Heh.

 That is the attitude of a monopolist, in cahoots with the politicians.

Craig, it comes down to this: you see yourself as the victim, instead I see your attitude wrt MVPDs as the problem.

Much like the SUV owner who accuses GM for his abysmal fuel economy.

For once I think we can agree on something, at least to a limited extent.

I have noted before that "we are our own worst enemy" in terms of allowing the MVPD/Content oligopoly to gain and keep control of the big screen in the family room.

Sadly this parallels the demise of other empires - for the Romans it was Chariot races instead of NASCAR and human sacrifice instead of concussions on the football field. And now we can throw in the "15 minutes of Fame " syndrome that has driven a large percentage of the U.S. population to worship movie stars and musicians.

We now have "Collisuems" all over the country filled with sky boxes and off-field diversions. And they are filled due to the control of supply and demand. The rest of us watch this spectacle on big screen TVs while guzzling the yellow fizzy stuff the conglomerates call beer.

And we wonder how we got into the current political quagmire...

This too must end.

I don't see the SUV parallel. Most people who buy these vehicles are doing so because of safety and comfort issues. Mileage is not a significant factor...yet.

When we pay what they pay in Europe for petrol, that will change...

And its just around the corner if we stay the current political path.