[opendtv] Re: News: Behind The Internet TV Revolution

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 17:56:18 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I have the option to pay for a premium version of Pandora without ads. Doubt
> I will, but its an option. And there are many rumors about a monthly iTunes
> subscription service with access to virtually unlimited music. I probably
> won't do this either as I prefer to spend that money buying music I want
> then listening to it on all of my devices.
>
> But the point is that you have a choice.
>
> The same is true for Over-the-top-TV. If I want an ad free experience I can
> pay for it. With cable I pay AND get the ads... lot's of ads.

If you make yourself dependent on a walled garden, then chances are that what
thought was "ad free" will soon not be ad free anymore. Like cable TV,
satellite radio, and Pandora. Being delivered over the Internet changes little
or nothing.

All of these services follow the same, totally predicable pattern. You pay, and
you eventually get to listen to ads too. Why? Because businesses have to show
constant growth. Once the population willling to pay the monthly hookup fee has
levelled off, as will always happen, growth will flatten. The only way to show
growth again is to jack up the monthly fee, and risk losing membership, or to
introduce ads.

So the point I'm making is, consumers must make sure to demand options that
don't make them fully dependent on one walled garden. Only if people demand
unwalled options, or choices of several simultaneous walled-in schemes, will
there be any hope of a self-regulating level of ad intrusion.

Apple walled gardens are no different from any other walled gardens.