[opendtv] Re: News: Barton Wants DTV Tuners Sooner

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 08:13:35 -0400

>Furthermore, if the future of "digital" includes DBS, I
>just don't see the big difference wrt antenna hardware,
>between that presumably acceptable choice and DTT.

A DBS antenna is installed once and it provides access to all of the
services to which the home chooses to subscribe. This is not feasible
in MANY markets for ATSC broadcasts, due to the geographic
distribution of transmitters and other issues such as multipath.

>I agree that a culture of "more is more" will have a harder
>time with the 20 or so channels that they might receive
>OTA, compared with the three kazillion channels being
>offered "for an introductory offer of only $49.95/mo" that
>they are being impregnated with. But this has nothing to
>do with antenna hardware required (or not) for DTT.

Finally Bert is beginning to understand. It is the underlying
business model of broadcasters that is dying.