[opendtv] Re: News: Barton Wants DTV Tuners Sooner

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 19:15:19 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> There is NO incentive for most Americans to bother with
> that Yagi.

No need, if a Radio Shack double bowtie can receive
stations from 40 miles.

The The Perfect Vision article on the Square Shooter shows
that ATSC *can* provide a "perfect" signal when analog is
mostly snow, so many cases where yagis were required before
might now get by with something less imposing. I'm
waiting for Bob Miller to report on these new receivers
he's waiting on.

Furthermore, if the future of "digital" includes DBS, I
just don't see the big difference wrt antenna hardware,
between that presumably acceptable choice and DTT.

I agree that a culture of "more is more" will have a harder
time with the 20 or so channels that they might receive
OTA, compared with the three kazillion channels being
offered "for an introductory offer of only $49.95/mo" that
they are being impregnated with. But this has nothing to
do with antenna hardware required (or not) for DTT.