[opendtv] Re: News: Barton: 2009 Analog-Cutoff Date 'Frozen'

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:12:47 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> I'm sure LG can't wait to get an order from the Government
> for 73 million 5th generation STBs at $50 each.  I'm also
> sure they will outperform the Cold Fusion demonstrator
> that seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

I'm fairly certain of both of those points too, and that
other companies will get into the act more quickly, either
with the LG chip or with competing chips (for example, where
have Micronas and ST been hiding lately, or Motorola which,
according to Jay Cordova's brother anyway, had a very decent
STB out there already?).

But also, I would expect that when faced with the new and
imminent reality, broadcasters will start thinking in terms
of competing intelligently in the digital distribution, and
will create through competition what Freeview and mabb have
created through "central planning."

Free market advocates always claim that competition can
outdo central planning every time. Let's see.