[opendtv] Re: News; As TVs grow, so do electric bills

  • From: dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:08:04 -0700

I often try to verify "green" arguments because they usually exaggerate a
problem that is much more benign than other big issues.  So I tried to
research some of the statements.

First, I looked at several manufacturer's websites for power consumption
data.  Looking at Hitachi, Sony, and Samsung plasma, DLP and CRT
projectors, I could not find any specs for power consumption.  However,
several do claim "Energy Star" ratings.  I've visited the Energy Star
website and their requirements.  This rating means they save power over
comparable equipment.  So it would be hard for a consumer to pick a TV
based on power usage, if there was a consumer who did want to do so.

So I looked at the specs for an old 3 tube projector here in our shop, and
it claims an average consumption of 240 watts.  (I do not know how this
compares to a DLP or plasma).  The article doesn't talk about how it
arrives at their KWH figures, but if this old 3-tube was on for 8 hours a
day, that would be 714KWH/yr, costing $64 a year to operate in Las Vegas.
So the cited 679KWH/yr. is probably a reasonable number.  The CRT TV they
cite would cost $19/yr; a difference of $3.75 per month.  Would you notice
this on your power bill?

While I believe that saving energy should be a primary concern, I don't
think people will until it effects their pocket book, and I don't think
these numbers show enough of a difference.

Dan Grimes