[opendtv] Re: News: Always dance with those who brung you

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:59:12 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Here's another B&C article that says volumes about
> the cozy relationship between broadcasters and the
> politicians who rely upon them to stay in power.

Actually, the most important point it makes is that
the 12/31/2006 date for analog shutdown is still
very much alive. Even after Michael Powell leaves.

> Barton would have been buoyed by a new FCC study on
> possible DTV transition scenarios released Tuesday.
> It suggests that in only about 4.5% of analog-only
> TV homes is "lack of funds" the reason that they
> don't subscribe to cable or satellite.

Right. I've often wondered how much of the talk about
subsidizing DTT STBs was just for show. Here and in
Europe.

> I'll need to find and read the FCC report, but it
> suggests what I have been saying for years...there
> is a sizable percentage of homes in the U.S. that
> just don't do TV.

Another strange conclusion from Craig? I'd say it
shows more directly that many households find what's
OTA to be more than adequate for the time they care
to dedicate to couch potato-dom. These households
will do just fine with DTT unless, of course,
broadcasters continue to erode their progamming with
cheap infomercial garbage.

With a recording device, I can (still) accumulate
more interesting programming using only OTA as source
then I have time or will to watch.