[opendtv] Re: News: A Tablet to Rival the Leader

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 17:06:00 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Perhaps Bert will be as excited about the new Google Nexus tablet as is David
 Pogue at the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/technology/personaltech/nexus-7-googles-new-tablet-seriously-challenges-the-ipad-state-of-the-art.html?ref=technology

Naw. Here's what I think reality is. (Let me caveat up front that there are some legitimate, useful roles for tablets, but hardly roles that would either replace PCs or engender the sort of hype the iPad got.)

Some people, we have one in the office, just love gadgets. This new toy came out, the iPad, and they flocked to it in droves. To the extent that the clueless trade press coined the term "post-PC era," being totally into the hype this toy created. And simultaneously making some sort of big deal out of "apps" and "app stores," as if these "apps" were some new phenomenon that didn't exist before. When in fact, apps are simply programs, or sometimes nothing more than bookmarks for web sites, and they ONLY exist in this "app store" environment to compensate for the egregious limitations of pads compared with PCs. I mean honestly, what PC user would make a big deal about downloading a software tool from any ole web site. or about setting up a bookmark to get the local news and weather?

Here's and example. When that office person I mentioned raved about the piano keyboard "app" she got, look how cool! this is, I said okay, I'll write one for my PC in a couple of minutes. And I did. It might not have shown the piano-like keys, but I simple programmed my PC to use the keyboard keys as if they were piano keys, to play two octaves. And the screen showed which keys played which notes. Big whoop.

Then the Kindle Fire came on the market, for way less money. So all those people who thought the iPad cost way more than it was worth jumped on the bandwagon, to see what all the fuss was about. But these people were obviously not the wide-eyed gadget-addicted types who bought the iPad. Or they would have been the ones standing in line overnight, waiting for those store doors to open in the morning, to get their hands on this toy.

And not surprisingly, the Kindle didn't create the same gushing of superlatives. And in my view, no other tablet, severely limited in usefulness as the iPad is, would either.

On the other hand:

Tablet/laptop hybrid designs like the Microsoft Surface, assuming of course all of those silly intangibles like rounded corners, shiny finish, no visible screw heads, and well-tuned I/O features, have the potential for really ushering in a "post-PC era." Those who complain that there aren't enough "apps" for the Surface are just not thinking. How many "apps" have you ever had to buy for a PC, and just what is it that your PC can't do than the tablet can do? Take pictures? I can even do that. Make phone calls? I can even do that. Either with a PC, or with a cell phone. So if the Surface can do these things, then to me that WOULD be a significant innovation. One which would make laptops extinct, possibly.