[opendtv] Re: News: A Generation of Local TV Anchors Is Signing Off

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 20:33:55 -0500

Same old news, Craig.

However, this has nothing to do with the survival of FOTA TV, necessarily. Only
has to do with some aspects of the survival of "localism."

It's possible that there are exceptions in some European countries, but this
phenomenon of the personality local news anchor, to my knowledge, is completely
nonexistent in countries where FOTA TV flourishes.

I've been having a ball following the Russia Today (RT) news, which we get OTA
24/7. No news anchor personalities there either. (Nor on France 24, TF1, or any
of the RAI stations.)

Last Thursday or Friday, RT did a piece on the US auto industry. Fantastic.
They used, I'm not joking, automobile junk yards as the backdrop, while
discussing how US auto companies were likely to collapse. As if these junk
yards WERE the big three. I'm not making this up. Junk yards were the ONLY
backdrop used to represent the auto companies, in the entire piece. And they
interviewed people in the most dismal of Detroit trailer parks, always in
dismal, drizzly weather, to show what the average American worker was up
against. It was so amazing.

THAT's entertainment. And it's available FOTA.