[opendtv] Re: New weblog on spectrum policy

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:14:08 -0700

The simple fact is that -- pursuant to FCC decisions of long standing -- the
new entrant is ALWAYS responsible for the correcting the new interference to
previous users that they create.  There are caveats:  the receiver in
question has to be unmodified since manufacturer, has to be used in a
permitted manner, and has to "reasonably" be compliant with it's
certification and standards in effect at the time of manufacture.

So, meeting those requirements, the lawsuit would likely have merit.

And, I suspect that you haven't spent millions on your transmitter, that
millions of persons are not using your signals, and that you don't make
millions (while not charging users a penny) on the use of your transmitter.

So, scale your nonsuit up to the size of broadcasters.  Also, broadcasters
will likely have a much better feel than most for who causes their
interference.  Ever have an idea about who causes your interference?

EVERY time more than about two homes are affected by interference, stations
get calls.  Day or night.