[opendtv] Re: New transition web site

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:35:02 -0700

Bert wrote:
>Very unsettling. The only way to beat that is for broadcasters to
>plan for plenty of signal margin. Not the bare minimum.

I certainly agree with this concept but, unfortunately, planning for
"plenty" of signal margin is not generally an option for broadcasters. The
FCC has assigned maximum power levels for each station, which vary over a
very wide range of approximately <100 to 1000KW. It is not at all unusual to
see markets with assignments spanning this wide range.

Granted there are still stations which have not yet constructed to their
full assigned power level but that number is shrinking rapidly and many of
the remaining lower powered stations are there because they were assigned
intermediate DTV channels and it didn't make economic sense to build to full
power for a temporary operation.

Dale
Who believes in more power to the people!