[opendtv] Re: New mission: Adding digital TV to every portable screen

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:16:51 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It like a "Tale of Two Cities..."
>
> Europe already had a viable Digital TV standard that could easily
> be optimized for mobile reception ( e.g. Las Vegas 2000). They
> mistakenly decided that they needed to enhance their standard to
> deal with short term limitations in M/H receiver design,
> especially power utilization.
>
> The U.S. had a standard optimized for fixed receivers that offered
> little hope of every being useful for M/H devices. Thus the effort
> began to develop an M/H standard that could co-exist with 8-VSB.
>
> In both cases the relentless march of technology overcame at least
> some of these limitations.

I sort of agree, but I would add that DVB-T2 moves DVB closer to the
original goals of 8T-VSB, i.e. with all the emphasis on supporting HDTV
to fixed receivers. While ATSC M/H moves 8T-VSB more in the direction of
the original DVB-T, adding in adjustability for greater robustness.

The other thing is, the longer the symbol duration, the harder it is to
adjust for dynamic echo variations. Which is probably why 2K COFDM works
better tha 8K, for mobility. And it's also why 16K and 32K are most
likely going to be mobility-challenged modes, in DVB-T2.

So it seems to me that the short symbol duration of 8-VSB can be put to
good use for mobile reception. It's a question of putting the resources
to the task, ROI, IP, royalties, etc. All that boring bean counter stuff
that gets so exasperating.

Also, as long as people assume it can't be done, naturally, it won't be
done.