[opendtv] Re: New energy guidelines stump CE designers

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:57:46 -0800

"Energy Star 3.0 demands 149 watts of maximum allowable on-mode power
watts for a 37-inch screen TV, 208 watts for a 42-inch TV and for a
50-inch screen 318 watts, according to calculations done by Steve
Sechrist, editor/analyst at Insight Media."

I never got the whole relativity of some "green" ratings and laws.

Example: I supe'd up my 4 cylinder engine in my less than 1800 pound car
but now I can't drive it because it won't pass our tight air quality
restrictions.  The emissions from it are way under the guidelines for a 6
or 8 cylinder motor, yet produces horsepower that rivals some.  But since
it has four cylinders, I can't drive it.  So if I put in a 6 or 8
cylinder, which use a lot more gas and pumps out more emissions for the
same horsepower, it would be legal to register.  Why encourage more gas
use and emissions?  Why not make laws to encourage less emissions and
increased efficiency?

So here is another example with Energy Star.  Why set standards on what
size the screen is?  Why shouldn't it just be based on how much energy is
used, period?  A 37 inch screen that uses 151 Watts of power (outside of
Energy Star 3.0) should not be discouraged while encouraging the use 317
Watts of any size by giving it the Energy Star.

I find some of these rating systems to be, well, illogical.  Perhaps what
is really needed is two rating systems, one for relative size and another
to give the outright energy requirement.

Dan