[opendtv] Re: New VoIP and browser options show chinks in iPhone armor

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 20:04:17 -0500

At 8:32 AM -0800 2/9/10, Kon Wilms wrote:
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:02 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 This is the direction that Apple HAS moved. Contacts on the iPhone are all
 based on names, not numbers...

And the main dialing pad on the iPhone can dial a Skype contact?
You're side-stepping my question again. I have an iPhone here, Craig.
I know it's limitations.

Sorry. Obviosly Skype is an app on the iPhone and will be an app on the iPad. It should be equally obvious that Apple has protected AT&T in order to get the sweet deal they got with the iPhone. For what it's worth, it does not look like they plan to support any traditional voice carrier on the iPad.

 Apple has chosen NOT to position the iPad as a phone, although it will
 easily support IP telephony. No additional charge if you can live with
 Wi-Fi. $30 month if you want 3G.

Does that come with a USB port? Sorry, couldn't resist.

A legitimate question, especially since the hardware supports USB.

There is a USB option for cameras. It's not clear if this can be used for other USB devices. Bluetooth keyboard support is another question mark.

Much of this could be left to third parties; I suspect the new SDK has answers for many questions like this.

It does seem like it would be simple to add a USB port. Perhpas it will "magically" appear on the keyboard dock.

;-)