[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 10:40:56 -0500

At 7:37 PM -0800 11/30/07, John Willkie wrote:
I note that one of the m/p/h proposals is from Qualcomm, which has spent mightily - perhaps a billion dollars - on the MediaFlo demo infrastructure in the U.S. It would be the height of "creative destruction" if their proposal to the ATSC resulted in destroying that infrastructure or wasn't compatible with it, nor wasn't backwards compatible with 8-VSB. I think that trying to integrate a single-carrier system and a multiple-carrier system into the same 6-Mhz channel is "mightily difficult" if not simply impossible.

The reality is that most mobile devices today support multiple "radios." My iPhone supports four with Bluetooth, WiFi, GSM and the Edge network.

I believe that the potential for harmonizing MediaFlo and the other mobile video services with what the ATSC is doing will be based in the idea of supporting multiple receivers, NOT to use the same infrastructure across multiple systems. It is really going to come down to whether broadcasters will provide enough useful content to justify the inclusion of another radio in mobile handsets. They could just do content deal with the telcos like they have done with the multi-channel services.