[opendtv] Re: New Thread: What becomes of Legacy Analog Equipment

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:01:21 -0500

There is no magical correct period of time after a modulation and codec
decision is made during which it is not possible logically to consider
scrapping them and starting over.

Taiwan did it soon after picking 8-VSB.

It could be a month, a year, ten years or a century.

There is no period of mourning or the wearing of black or a period in which
to write off or work off the bad investment.

At any point after the original decision it is possible that a rational look
at the situation would dictate a change, all things considered.

I submit that at any moment since the decision to use 8-VSB and MPEG2 it was
rational and logical to consider scrapping them both. I believe that the
arguments to do so have only increased minute by minute since then and will
continue to do so.

Bob Miller