[opendtv] Re: New Sony COO bullish on Blu-ray

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 17:37:06 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

>CE vendors have not had much success providing cable
>boxes.

>When a phone or cable company does not willing
>cooperate with an FCC mandate then it is like pulling
>teeth to take advantage of any opening.

Perhaps it's time for consumers to start screaming, Tom.

I don't know about you, but I'd be seriously ticked if, for example, Verizon
crammed a proprietary PC of their choosing down my throat, as a requirement
for using their broadband service. And I would laugh at the silly notion
that I should be satisifed to limit my participation in this system makeup
to just choosing a PC monitor.

There's nothing more legitimately "personal" about a PC than there is about
one's audio/video entertainment setup. Even the phone companies have had to
relinquish their ancient "we own everything including your telephone
handset" model.