[opendtv] Re: New Sony COO bullish on Blu-ray

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 10:34:12 -0400

Albert Manfredi wrote:
 > But that's just it. Why should CE vendors roll  over and play dead, just
 > because service providers would prefer it that way? And only in the US
 > market, it seems.
 >
 > Thanks to the FCC, there ought to be a fair supply of DTT/digital cable
 > compatible DVDRs, at least. Starting 1 March 2007. I've noticed with
some
 > pleasure that there are now many DVDRs available, even though not a
one has
 > any sort of DTV reception. Unless they all disappear next year, they
should
 > by then be DTT/cable-capable.

CE vendors have not had much success providing cable boxes.  No matter
what the FCC has mandated most cable companies do not yet support
working firewire.  And the monthly cost of cable cards in most places in
multiples of the couple bucks they were first claimed, plus often don't
work and have lackadaisical support.  It is cheaper to rent a dual tuner
PVR from most cable companies than it is to get just the two cable cards
needed for a dual tuner PVR from some other company.  So there is no
business proposition there.

When a phone or cable company does not willing cooperate with an FCC
mandate then it is like pulling teeth to take advantage of any opening.

- Tom